Cross Stitch Ramblings

2.9.05

Lily of the Valley Fairy


Here's an update of Lily as of last Tuesday - hopefully with a bit of backstitch the flowers look more recognisable. I decided to so the backstitch as I go along because with flower fairies it is always an important part of the picture - plus it saves having to do it all at the end.
I'm now working on Mirabilia's Sleeping Beauty - I won't post a picture just yet as it only looks like a little blob of nothing - having said that its going to look like nothing for quite some time yet! I had a bit of a shock when I got the chart out ... its huge! I was assuming its size would be along the lines of the L&L Celtic Ladies but it is much bigger. Still, I have never been intimidated by the size of a project, but it will take quite a bit longer to do than I'd figured.
Goals
I achieved all my goals for August with several days to spare .... if only I was as efficient at achieving my household chores goals as I am with my stitching goals!
Goals for September are not going to be too ambitious as I have another 3 new starts to go and I don't know how easy or difficult I'm going to find them yet. September has 30 days and my new rotation has 6 projects - so I am going to spend 5 days on each of them, being.....
Sleeping Beauty
L&L's Celtic Winter (SAL with several other blogging stitchers)
HAED's Waiting for Neptune
TW's Fantasy Triptych
Taj Mahal
Lily of the Valley Fairy

Stitching Bloggers Question
What do you use to hold your fabric while you stitch? A hoop, a
Q-Snap, a scroll frame, something else, or do you stitch in hand? Have
you always used just the one thing or have you tried one or more of
the others? Which do you like best? Why?

This is highly appropriate considering I was going on about hoops in my last entry! For the most part, I use a hoop; the biggest I can get the fabric in. I use the hoop until the stitched area grows too big to fit inside the aperture then I stitch in the hand. I have been known to squash the stitched area in the hoop but I hate doing this.
I do own a set of Q-snaps. I tossed them aside in disgust last year when I was stitching Maria Van Scharrenburg's 'Night'. They kept slipping and the fabric was too loose to stitch - I kept yanking the holder thingies back in place and eventually caused a long line of extra large holes in the fabric, which I was not happy about. But lots of other people seem to like them. I have reintroduced them again now and Sleeping Beauty is currently mounted up on them. So far, so good, the fabric has remainded taut. Maybe the linen with 'Night' was extra slippy? Who knows. I have also recently aquired 2 sets of scroll bars which will be brought into use with two of the planned new starts.
As for the hoops? I have bought interlocking bar frames for the smaller projects (much cheaper than Q-snaps and I could get them in a shop - there is always a reluctance in me to buy stuff online unless I have to), so we'll see how I get on with these......

7 Comments:

  • At 3/9/05 12:58 pm, Blogger BeckySC said…

    It's looking great :) I wish I could learn to b/s as I go...I save it all until all the stitching is done :(.

    Ohhh, I have Sleeping Beauty in my stash...can't wait to see your progress :)

    Thanks for sharing!

     
  • At 4/9/05 12:05 am, Blogger Carol said…

    Oooo, I have been eyeing that Waiting for Neptune by HAED too :-)

     
  • At 5/9/05 12:20 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    I've been eyeing Sleeping Beauty myself. Can't wait to see your progress! The LOV Fairy looks lovely.

     
  • At 6/9/05 6:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ooooh that is so pretty!

     
  • At 7/9/05 5:37 pm, Blogger Kathy said…

    Wow Lily of the Valley is looking lovely, My grans fav flower. Look forward to more updates.

    Hugs xxxxxx

     
  • At 16/9/05 7:48 pm, Blogger Carol said…

    Hi Gill! I miss you! You seem to have been gone for a bit now. Everything OK??

     
  • At 11/10/05 11:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Julianna, I don't like using hoops either and have heard wonderful things about q-snaps. I've yet to purchase and try some, what do you say now you're trying them again? Heather

     

Post a Comment

<< Home