Cross Stitch Ramblings

2.8.05

Whats in a name?

I'm beginning to regret having used an alias rather than my real name on this blog. I feel a bit silly being addressed as Julianna, it doesn't suit me at all. I don't think it would be very practical to change it, even if there was a way how, nobody would know who I am.

My real name is Gill, which is a shortened version of Gillian. Only my Mum calls me Gillian. I've always been reluctant to use my real name on the internet because of privacy hang-ups, but also because I didn't want anyone getting false impressions of who I am. For many years I have worked with US and Canadian clients in my job, and almost always, until they know better, they assume my name is Gil and that I am a bloke. Its quite amusing really, I am very much the wrong shape to be a man! Obviosuly the shortened version of my first name is not used in America, I'm not sure even my full name is particularly know, I've only ever noticed it in one American film (a Star Trek film .... the one where they travel back in time and rescue whales).

The name Juliana is an old fashioned name from which Gillian is derived. That's why I hit on it, I have used it as an internet alias on various sites, adding random numbers in various places. Some place or other Juliana was already taken so I added another n and from then stuck with the 2 n version. I also sometimes use Easysilence which is my ebay ID, I got that from a book that was sitting on the shelf above my desk when I registered to Ebay.

Other things about me .... I am 39. I'm slowly getting used to the fact of hitting the big 4-0 next February. I've never invisaged life beyond it. I'm still immature. I remember thinking that when I was 9 months pregnant with my son. I'm not grown-up enough for this yet!! My birthday is 12th February, and is always totally eclipsed by Valentines Day, therefore I don't like Valentines Day. I also don't like star signs, which is why my age and birthday are not published on my blog.

I have been married since I was 25 and have a son aged 10 and a daughter aged 9. My son has Asperger's syndrome (a mild form of autism). We currently have no interesting pets (we do have rabbits & goldfish) but will probably be getting a dog of our own very soon, having doggyproofed our house in preparation for looking after my in-laws little bichon frise this past week.

I live in a village that has a problem. There is a large community of people who have settled and built illegaly on greenbelt land and refuse to budge. No-one wants to live in my village.

It is now time for me to get showered and ready for work so I will stop rambling on!

5 Comments:

  • At 2/8/05 2:08 pm, Blogger Gina E. said…

    Good on you Gill, for confessing all - lol! I understand completely about your privacy fears; it took me a couple of years to use my name Gina on all my internet correspondence, instead of hiding behind the name of our first cat! I am Patracat on eBay, Patra2000 on my MSN groups, and Patra's place here.
    Hey, don't worry about turning 40. Instead, look forward to 50! It is great to reach the half century and realise that you are still the same person and (providing you have looked after your health) feel pretty much the same as you did 10 years ago! I have three years to go before I hit 60, and I am already thinking about how I can celebrate that!!

     
  • At 2/8/05 2:16 pm, Blogger Carol said…

    Hi Gill, nice to "meet" you :-) Not to fret about your name.... we all love you whatever you call yourself :-) As for turning 40, I found it was no big deal at all - I still feel like I am 24 inside, and I hear that that is all that really matters :-) I am sure the same will happen for you. And, by the way, I like your real name wayyyyy better than your alias anyhow :-)

     
  • At 5/8/05 9:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Gill. I've just changed my name on my blog recently. It's easy to do and you can still keep your original URL so people will know who you are.

    You got me thinking though and I've just published a post with the same title on my blog (putting in a link to your post - I hope that's ok).

     
  • At 6/8/05 12:37 am, Blogger Bastet said…

    Well if it's of any help, it's not just the star trek film that has your name in it. Have you ever watched X-Files? The Character Scully is played by an american by the name of Gillian Anderson. I believe it's totally up to you wether or not to use your real name of not.

     
  • At 10/8/05 1:43 pm, Blogger Lelia said…

    Gill & Julianna are beautiful names. I don't use my real name either (real name Carol). Your work speaks for itself! Lovely blog. Awesome stitching projects. you select challenging designs. Maybe one of these days I'll try out some larger, more complicated stitching!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home