Cross Stitch Ramblings

6.8.04

Bargains!

The town I work in has a large shopping centre which I wander around in my lunch hour but the needlework supplies on offer are very limited. The only shop which sells any emdbroidery/cross stitch materials only does anchor, and since I'm mainly interested in DMC designs I don't feel very inspired by this shop. They've had a sale for quite a while and I have felt a little tempted but there hasn't been anything that I've wanted to do enough.

But today I discovered a wealth of bargains! The same old kits were on the sale racks but they also had a lot more at drastically reduced prices. These are good quality anchor/Dimensions kits with RRPs of £20odd up to £40odd all down to either £2, £5 or £10. I couldn't resist. I bought 10 kits!!

The intention from the start was to put the majority of them up for sale on ebay. I like selling things that I know about. When I got them home my husband was as equally excited by my bargains as I was and positively encouraged me to keep any which I'd like to do. I've decided on three.

One is 'A Rush of thunder' by Carolyn Mock, a Dimension kit. This is six horse heads in motion and is the kind of striking design I like. Its mainly stitched in half cross stitch and measures 18"x17". This is going to be a project and a half!

The second is 'African Dawn' from Anchor Premier Collection. I'm going to stitch it for Mark for his birthday. Mark loves elephants and is one of the few friends I feel would actually appreciate the a framed cross stitch. His birthday is in September so not long Its not huge - 7x7" so shouldn't take me tooooo long. I've started it already, encouraged by the fact it has pre-sorted threads. Lazy me! But I haven't abandoned Apple Blossom fairies. Maybe I'll just alternate between them.

The 3rd is my favourite and the only one which cost me £10. its the Grand Sage from the Gold Collection. Its not a counted cross stitch, its needlepoint done on a printed canvas, using cotton though, not wool. I have done one like this once before, years ago when I was still living with my parents. It was of a cottage, my Mum had it on her wall for years. Not sure if its still there, I don't like it much. But this one I love! It has some amazing colours, I love designs that are brightly coloured without being gaudy. It also uses metallic thread and beads and charms which I haven't used before so should be fun! The instruction sheet says I need one of those roller frames which I don't have, but I do have a square frame with sort of drainpipe fittings. I don't like using this frame for cross stitch because when I used it on the Butterfly fairy it damaged the fabric but it was a very soft evenweave. This is quite a stiff canvas so the frame should be fine for it. I know its a departure from cross stitch but I don't want to limit myself to just one type of design. Should be fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home