Cross Stitch Ramblings

24.7.04

Apple Blossom Fairies

It took me a while to find the Piglet kit. When it wasn't in the first place I looked I decided not to bother with it after all and start on the Apple Blossom Fairies. In the event I actually found Piglet before I found the chart and fabric for the Fairies but my mind was made up by then.

This one is going to be a real challenge! Not only does it have masses of french knots but it also has bags of fractionals and frequent colour changes. Just the way I love them! This one is probably going to take me a loooong time....

As I'm working from a chart rather than a kit this time I decided it was finally time to sort the 100 or so new skeins of thread I've bought over the years for one project or another into the thread boxes on bobbins with all my other threads. It really is too much like hard work rifling through so many skeins to find the next required colour.

It took me about 4 hours this morning to sort them all out, with some sporadic help from my daughter, who, as expected, got bored with winding thread very quickly. Most of the time was spent untangling knots. If there is a special technique for winding skeins onto bobbins without creating knots I still haven't discovered it after having wound so many threads. I do have this little thread winding gadget but can't remember how to use it, if ever I did know in the first place! I'm very impatient with gadgets. A few months ago I had a spate of buying DMC thread off ebay,  I'm always out for a bargain. I would turn my nose up at any that were already wound onto bobbins but after this mornings experience I think I've changed my mind for if I ever go thread hunting on ebay again!

I spent the whole time I was winding and knot unpicking wondering what I would run out of first, bobbins or space in the box. In the end, with about 10 skeins to go, it was bobbins, and despite searching through all my various boxes, & cupboards for stashing cross stitch materials, no more materialised. A trip to Hobbycraft tomorrow is in order! Besides, I discovered I'm short one colour on this Fairy project, which has turned out to be quite an important colour and its going to be difficult to go much further without it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home