Cross Stitch Ramblings

6.3.05

Frog Away!

Castle Sampler
I finished the vines down the right hand side of the castle panel on Friday and worked a bit of the right hand side figure, the Queen. There's plenty more of the vines in the background of the figures but it shouldn't be so monotonous now as I will be interspersing (is that a proper word??) vines with people.

Lady with Lilac Flower
I discovered to my distress that I had mistaken a symbol and done a substantial amount of stitching in the wrong colour. Boo hoo! So I frogged and I frogged. All damage is now repaired. But such a waste of time!

Celtic Christmas
I promised myself a little while ago that once I had finished the vines on the Castle Sampler I would add a third project to the rotation. I decided on Celtic Christmas because one - I have all these Lavender & Lace & Mirabilia charts and have not yet attempted to stitch any one of them, two- I want to do something that involves beads, because to date I've not used beads in any design, and last week I bought some beading needles! And three - the other two projects, although very different in style to each other, are both in muted tones. I need to do something more colourful! Celtic Christmas is largely red.
During the course of sorting the relevant threads onto bobbins I realised the advantage of kits! I must have lost the knack of getting thread from skeins to bobbins without spending far too much valuable stitching time untangling skeins. I wonder if there's a particular way you're supposed to do it for it not to tangle .... that little arrow on the skein must mean something, but I don't know what! I wish they sold it pre-bobbined.
I started on it today and am amazed at how easy it is. I guess I was expecting it to be as complicated as a TW. Progress is fast, though it is huge so will take a long time. The fabric I'm stitching on is dusty green linen from Permin (or Wichelt). Its a really stiff fabric, kind of like canvas, I hope it softens up in time.

1 Comments:

  • At 7/3/05 7:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Julianna. I'm looking forward to watching your progress on Celtic Christmas. She is really beautiful. I have her to stitch too but in althernative colours of blue, silver, lilac and white. I am going to start her in a month or so - it'll be nice to see the difference between the two as they grow.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home