Cross Stitch Ramblings

18.9.04

Charts

I'm on to the back stitch on African Dawn now. I went a bit wrong in the top three lines, but it is all hazy background so it doesn't make a slightest bit of difference. I have, therefore, declared it an original work of art, ie. it is not exactly the same as the pattern. In fact, I have made similar declarations for just about every cross stitch project I've ever tackled.

I'm not enjoying the back stitch one bit. It's one of those charts where the different backstitch colours are defined by different styles of lines, ie. one colour is ________, another is -------, another is .-.-.-.-.-.-.-, another is .......... and so on. I hate it. Its so difficult to work out the direction in which a dotted line goes, I'm going to have to dig out the packaging photo to work it out, which I resent, because I shouldn't have to do that. I've realised I prefer charts where the backstitch is all defined by a solid black line and what colour you should stitch it in is in the instructions. I know I moaned continuously about this system on 'Companions', but with that one it was so difficult to differentiate the backstitch lines from the gridlines on the actual chart. I'm learning to appreciate the value of a good quality chart. I pulled out the Iris fairy one and its really good, a nice large chart with clear symbols and clearly defined backstitch lines. The Apple Blossom Fairy one I currently have on the go is of the same quality, as were my previously finished DMC flower fairies, although the Narcissus fairy was from a magazine it was equally easy to follow. The worst one ever was the Pansy Fairy. This was a craft collection kit and all the cross stitch was in colours instead of symbols, a lot of which were painfully similar to each other. And the backstitch lines were in horrible different styles of line like African Dawn. I'm surprised I ever finished it! Most of the designs I've done have had good charts though, special mention goes to Lanarte's Maria Van Scharrenburg's 'Night' (usually referred to me as 'the butterfly fairy'). No problems whatsoever with that chart. And pre-sorted threads too. Fantastic!

Because I'm so fed up with African Dawn I've done a little bit of work on the Permin mini kit thats been on the go for a while. But I haven't sorted the threads, and I really need to, but I really can't be bothered. Lazy me.........

The framing man left a message on the answerphone this morning. He has finished! I wonder how much??? I plan to go and collect them on Tuesday and then I will find out. If they're not too expensive I'll take 'Companions' and 'Passion of the Dance' (The Ballerina) along to get framed also. Now all I've have to do is find some wall to put them all on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home